Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2012 07:04:54 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Darrel <levitch@iglou.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: blackend from svn

--------------enig0DF344EC4C9D83FF365B332E

On 14/10/2012 22:37, Darrel wrote:
> Having just installed a new system, I am considering using svn to
> get some docs.  Perhaps I will create doc under /usr/local like
> this:
>=20
> # cd /usr/local
> # mkdir doc

The canonical location is /usr/doc -- this stuff is part of FreeBSD
itself, so shouldn't really sit under ${LOCALBASE}

> and then:
>=20
> svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/doc/release/9.1.0/en_US.ISO8859-1/
>=20
> I already am running current and stable- this computer is mainly
> for using VirtualBox to test Linux stuff that some contracts are
> asking for.
>=20
> Does this method of having a local copy of docs around seem alright,
> or does someone know that there is a better way?

That should work fine, if what you are after are the .xml source files
the documentation is compiled from.  Note that compiling all this stuff
into HTML or PDF requires a moderately large toolchain to be installed.
(see: textproc/docproj* in ports.)

Also, the URL doc/release/9.1.0/en_US.ISO8859-1 -- that's a tag in SVN,
meaning it is never going to be updated.  Check out HEAD if you want to
be able to track changes.

You always used to be able to install a pre-compiled doc bundle from the
install media.  What with changes over the last several months I don't
know if that is still possible, but if it is, then that would probably
be more suitable if all you want is to have a reference copy of the docs
to hand.

	Cheers,

	Matthew
--=20