Date:      Tue, 8 Jun 2004 23:40:21 +0200
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <h@schmalzbauer.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Subject:   Re: Leaving a server on all day

--Boundary-02=_FJjxAKdeOfKt7fS

Am Dienstag, 8. Juni 2004 16:44 schrieb Peter Ulrich Kruppa:
> On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> > I have my desktop configured to run as a server and app server for a th=
in
> > client laptop.  Will running it all day without suspend mode use a lot =
of
> > power?
> >
> > Is it true that the heat buildup in a home system (rather than a heavily
> > fanned commercial system) will kill the drives faster and this is a good
> > reason to turn it off during the day when I am not home?
>
> This is only my personal experience:
> I have got a PIII running all day for over 2 years now (my
> "server"): no problems and I am using just the small fan it came
> with.
> I had two AMD's (a K6 and now an Athlon): for both I had to buy
> bigger fans since they started doing strange things after a
> while.
> At work I have seen three IDE harddisks decease on
> workstations during the last four and a half years, but never a
> SCSI harddisk. These workstations are shut down and rebooted

Just to brake illusions: I have seen lots of disks dieing. Mostly IDE disks=
=20
because they're wide spreaded.
But I also had a several "server" SCSI disks (Seagate and IBM) which died, =
and=20
they hadn't just quit their service, they (the two different I attempted to=
)=20
were classified as inrecoverable by well known and even better paid special=
=20
companies like Vogon.
So don't tap into the trap that SCSI disks are more reliable!

> quite often.
>
> So *my* summary for your private server would be:
> - Leaving it on all day will not kill your harddisks, in the
>    contrary: even cheap ones will live longer.
> - AMD processors tend to run hot, so if you have one, you should
>    look for a good fan.

This was true up to Coppermine/Tualatin, nowadays I'd prefere any AMD. The=
=20
notrhwood and even worse the prescott INTELS (p4s) are dumb radiators.

My 0.02 =A4

Best regards,

=2DHarry