Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 20:34:43 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "shutdown -h now" risk?

The 'reboot' man page says this:

    "The halt and reboot utilities flush the file system cache
    to disk, send all running processes a SIGTERM (and
    subsequently a SIGKILL) and, respectively, halt or restart
    the system...."

Then the 'shutdown' man page says this:

    "The following options are available:
    -o    If one of the -h, -p or -r is specified, shutdown will execute
halt(8) or reboot(8) instead of sending signal to init(8)."

So, I guess the new question is: What's the difference between the way
"halt" and "reboot" handle shutdowns versus the way "init" does it? And is
one method preferable over the other?

Enquiring minds want to know...

--Dan

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!

<snip>