Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 2002 14:13:43 -0700
From:      "Robert L Sowders" <rsowders@usgs.gov>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot failed - all data lost

Is this a SCSI disk?

I had this same problem last night, it turned out to be a bad SCSI cable.=20
The disks were found on boot and the SCSI bios could see them on the chain =

but when it tried to boot it kept saying no disk found.  I booted a DOS=20
disk with fdisk and it also couldn't see the disk.  I almost trashed the=20
drive. On a whim I replaced the cable and it everything worked.  It turns=20
out the scsi cable had a bad active terminator.  I replaced the cable and=20
everything came back.

If your system is scsi, it's something to try anyway.

=20

Hanspeter Roth <hanspeter=5Froth@hotmail.com>
Sent by: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
08/09/2002 12:35 PM