Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 19:55:20 -0400
From:      Gary Schrock <root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   de driver spontaneously switching ports?

Has anyone ever had problems with one of the Dec 21041 ethernet cards
spontaneously deciding that it wants to change which port is being used to
connect to the net with?  (In our case from the twisted pair port to the
BNC port.)  The card is as follows:
Oct 13 13:31:19 anguish /kernel: de0 <Digital 21041 Ethernet> rev 17 int a
irq 10 on pci0:11:0
Oct 13 13:31:19 anguish /kernel: de0: SMC 21041 [10Mb/s] pass 1.1
The machine had been running for about a month and a half without trouble,
then spontaneously decided to output the message Oct 12 09:51:13 anguish
/kernel: de0: enabling BNC port

There's some possibility that someone might have pulled the cable, would
that cause that behaviour (unfortunately I don't know if that's what
happened, we don't have anyone on-site at the location the machine is, and
have to rely on the people there when things like this come up).

Gary Schrock
root@eyelab.msu.edu