Date:      Tue, 09 Mar 1999 13:07:26 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>, Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>, Adam Turoff <aturoff@isinet.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports

At 12:09 PM 3/9/99 -0700, Wes Peters wrote:

>You seem to have a different view of professionalism than anyone else.  Show
>me another software company that supports their out-of-date products.

This one's gonna hurt, I reckon: Microsoft. Patches, fixes, and new software
for Windows 95 are still available on their Web site.

>If they viewed the code their "territory", they probably wouldn't be giving
>away the source, now would they?

Not necessarily. They still retain "ownership" in that they control the
development of the code.

>If you have a port that is of particular
>importance to you, I'm sure the port maintainer would be glad to help you
>bring it up-to-date for 2.2.8 or any other release, just don't expect him
>or her to pick up your bag of rocks and carry it for you.

It shouldn't require even as much effort as picking up a bag of rocks.
The problem here seems to be systemic.

--Brett