Date:      Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:45:50 +0100
From:      Anthony Atkielski <atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MS Exchange server on FreeBSD?

Ted Mittelstaedt writes:

> The problem is you just don't want it to be a hardware problem because
> you don't accept the possibility that the NT driver wrote around a
> hardware problem and the FreeBSD driver doesen't.

No, I don't want to run on a wild goose chase just because it hurts
someone's pride to think that FreeBSD might have a bug.

The only thing that changed on this machine was a move from Windows NT
to FreeBSD.  Therefore the source of the problem is FreeBSD.

> Despite the fact that making up for hardware problems with
> writearounds in the software drivers is a common thing in the
> industry.

That would explain the "quirks" coding in FreeBSD, then, wouldn't it?
Or is this only bad when other operating systems do it?

> So you won't do the testing to prove that it is or isn't a hardware
> bug, and thus you can continue pretending to yourself that it must be
> software, and thus not your responsibility.

Nobody here knows enough about FreeBSD to even tell me what its messages
mean; I don't see any particular reason to knock myself out indulging
their baseless conjectures.

--
Anthony