Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2006 07:51:38 GMT
From:      John Collins <jmc@xisl.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/103707: Problem installing on Dell Powervault 745N

>Number:         103707
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Problem installing on Dell Powervault 745N
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I am trying to install FreeBSD 6.1 on a customer's machine, a Dell Powervault 745N.

It boots OK (using a plug-in USB DVD drive - the thing has almost no peripherals at all).

However when it comes to accessing the disk drives, a RAID controller, it says "No disks found!".

When the matchine boots it says of the controller:

Intel (R) 31244 Serial AA Dell inc DPA Mode BIOS V1.6.2.000

I posted a question about this earlier in the week and was advised to run pciconf -lv which reported:

atapci0epci2:2:0
class=0x010600
card=0x01661d28
chip=0x32008086
rev=0x00
hdr=0x0

Could anyone advise if there is any way I can get this thing to work, or will I have to give up?

I have tried booting various Linux-es with similar lack of success.

I have asked Dell but they refuse to support anything other than Windows on the machine. They referred me to Intel but Intel say that Dell do proprietary mods on their controllers and referred me back to Dell.
>How-To-Repeat:
Try and boot on the thing.
>Fix:
N/a