Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 18:20:09 -0600
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPFW, blocking IM servers

--=-=-=

At 2003-01-21T23:03:09Z, Doug Poland <doug@polands.org> writes:

> I'm concerned about the big 3, AOL, MSN, and Yahoo.  They must have a
> limited IP range they use.

From=20GAIM's account editor:

    AOL  : login.oscar.aol.com:5190
    Yahoo: scs.yahoo.com:5050
    MSN  : messenger.hotmail.com:1863

> This is my boss's idea!  Also there are also a number of volunteers who
> cannot be fired.

Ahh, then, that makes a difference.  I'd still advertise an explicit "no
IM!" policy.

> I'm doing that now, however, I know the Yahoo client will use any open
> port it can find and tunnel through that.

I hadn't been aware of that.  Seems like rather un-neighborly behaviour.

> Actually, this is to head of the problem before it starts.  Thanks for you
> input and point of view Kirk.

Gotcha.  Or, do what a friend of mine does (but denies): commandeer your own
local server, and use it to insert enough bogus messages into the local
network to make IM clients unusable.  :)
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.

--=-=-=