Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 1997 23:18:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Daniel I. Bauer" <danib@esus.cs.montana.edu>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: modem not detected

On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, Daniel I. Bauer wrote:

> During boot, my modem is not detected.  In Windows 95 my modem is seen
> on Com port 3 at address 0x3e8.  Interrupt 5 is used.

sio2 (COM3) isn't configured in the boot floppy because of conflicts with
other devices.

> I have tried using the -c arguement at boot, entering the above
> information in, but this did not work.  In the kernal file I took out
> the keyword 'disable' for sio2 and during boot it is still not found.

> My modem is a Plug-and-Play CPI ViVa CommCenter 33.6
> voice/speakerphone/fax modem.

Yuck.  Can you hard wire this by setting some jumpers?  Does your BIOS
support Plug&Pray directly, and could you use that to move the modem to
known parameters?

> How can I get FreeBSD to recognize my modem?  Does Plug-and-Play confuse
> FreeBSD?  Is this modem not supported?  It has a 16550an uart (Windows
> 95 says this under diagnostics --> more info).

FreeBSD doesn't understand Plug&Pray, so it's up to the modem or your BIOS
to configure it.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo