Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 08:49:00 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Greg Pavelcak <gpavelcak@philos.umass.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world probs: Source file corrupted?

On Thu, Sep 18, 1997 at 07:56:19AM -0400, Greg Pavelcak wrote:
> I have been trying to make world from current sources cvsup-ed
> yesterday (Wed 9/17), but I haven't gotten very far. Here's a typical
> message right before stopping:
>
> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld/../../../contrib/gcc/cplus-dem.c: In function
> 'do type' parse error before character 0177

Character 0177 is a DEL character.  That shouldn't be in a source
file.

> When I check the line numbers associated with these I see thing like
> "string^?append" rather than "string_append".

Yup, that's how a DEL character gets represented.

> I don't know anything about C. Is this right? If not, how do you
> think those things get there and how can I change "^?" to "_"
> globally. The "^?" appears to be a real control character, that is
> it is a single character not "^" and "?".

Your assumption that the source file is corrupted is correct.  You may
be able to fix things as you suggest--it's certainly worth a try.
Probably, though, you'll need to get a new copy of the file.

Greg