Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 21:37:38 -0500
From:      Jerry Alexandratos <darkstar@udel.edu>
To:        Rick Tait <rickt@speakeasy.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.4 on Dell Inspiron 7000 with 3Com 3CCFE575?

On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 06:43:00PM -0500, Rick Tait wrote:
: Hi folks,
:
: I'm currently running Slackware 7.0 on my Dell Inspiron 7000, and I've
: reached the end of my tether with Lin[s]ux. I need to switch to my
: beloved FBSD...
:
: However, I've been out of the BSD scene for about 3 years, and am not
: familiar with the current state of laptop support, especially in the
: most recent versions of FBSD.
:
: My needs are simple, I don't need APM or any other of the fancy
: laptop-specific stuff. This is what I want/need to work:
:
:    - 1024x768x16 on the 15" LCD display
:    - 3Com 3CCFE575 Cyclone CardBus 10/100 PCMCIA NIC

Hmmm, no idea about the display, but XFree is XFree, so if the display
is supported under Linux it's supported under FreeBSD.

As for the card, I'm sorry, but CardBus isn't currently supported under
FreeBSD.  However, it is under NetBSD, so you may want o give that a
look.

        --Jerry

name:  Jerry Alexandratos         ||  Open-Source software isn't a
phone: 302.593.4322               ||  matter of life or death...
email: darkstar@udel.edu          ||  ...It's much more important