Date:      Tue, 15 Nov 2005 10:42:20 -0500
From:      Bryan Maloney <rafuzo@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   readline problems in FreeBSD 5.4/6.0

Hi all,

I'm having some problems with readline on FreeBSD 5.4 and 6.0 - my lowercas=
e 'x' has mysteriously disappeared (meaning it doesn't get read by readline=
). I run bash, mysql client and a couple other sundry utils that use readli=
ne, and they all exhibit this problem (and I discovered turning off readlin=
e use in bash with --noediting solves the problem - but readline is otherwi=
se kinda handy and I'd like to keep it if I can make it work). I first noti=
ced this when I went to portupgrade to the 11-10-05 dated readline port in =
ports - the first shell I opened up after the portupgrade completed exhibit=
ed this problem, as have all bash shells since (without readline disabled).=
 Since then I haven't been able to shake it. I tried to back down the port =
to the prior version, I tried updating and rebuilding userland (am I right =
in thinking userland has a copy of readline all its own? Seems that way fro=
m what `find` says), manually linking to the older readline edition...I eve=
n went ahead with the upgrade to 6.0 as a desperation move, but nothing's c=
hanged. Shells and terminals aren't really my strong point so I'm pretty mu=
ch out of ideas to try now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bryan