Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:30:21 -0700
From:      Scott Schappell <archon-sender-7e5359@silvertree.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Forcing users to use unique passwords?

I've did a google search on this, and an archive search. For an extra
measure of completeness, I scanned the handbook.

Here's the question:

I currently make my users reset their passwords every 90 days.
However, nothing stops them from reusing the same password. passwd
happily allows users to reuse a password. Since that's the case,
what's the point of enabling password expiration, since most users
will probably reuse their password (after all, it's convenient to do
so).

Is there a way to change login.conf to force unique passwords?  Or
would I have to wrap passwd in a shell script of some sort?

Thanks in advance for your help!
--
PGP Key: http://archon.silvertree.org/pgp.txt
"Compassion and retribution are two sides of the same coin. Necessity