Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 11:05:00 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@ares.maths.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Johnny Trivedi <trivedi@corecomm.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Will FreeBSD run on my PC

> I have been trying to step in to some sort of  *nix environment but am
> not too sure that I want to try it on my current PC.  I do, however,
> have another PC.  It is a 486 with 25 MHz, only 4 MB of ram, 170 Mb Hard
> disk.  The only question I have is that will a FULL version of FreeBSD
> run on my PC.  I don't want to learn some version that is outdated.
> What other resources can I turn to for questions.  I have already
> checked out some reading material on amazon.com but before I purchase
> anything I want to know if the OS will work on my PC.

FreeBSD runs on 4mb of ram but needs at least 5mb to install.  Also, your
hard disk is only big enough for a quite minimal installation, so if by
FULL you mean most of the install packages and X then it simply won't all
fit.

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083