Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 13:49:30 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SOLVED! (was: How do I fix the ethernet card I/O address (?))

Thanks to all who responded to my plea for help regarding my ethernet card
configuration woes.

The answers were certainly enlightening and will be helpful to me in
the future I'm sure.

I'm a bit ashamed to say this (because of all of the good and helpful
just getting started with a new OS, and you are not yet sure what to
expect as far as help from the net is concerned, if you are in a hurry
(as I am) you kinda tend to send out questions, and then hope for
some responses, but in parallel, you try your best to struggle along
even in lieu of any outside help (which may perhaps not be forthcoming).

So that's what I did.  Bozo that I am, it didn't occur to me until
_after_ I sent out my earlier query that maybe the simple solution to
my problem was just to change the card address to match the OS address,
rather than vise versa (DUH!)  Of course this entailed having to rummage
around and try to find the *&^%# configuration disk for the ethernet
card, and then (also) booting up DOS (yecch) from floppy again, and then
diddling the card addess in the DOS-based card configuration setup program,
and then praying... but it did work.

But I don't want any of you to think that your helpful hints have been
wasted on me.  I appreciate them all and I sure as heck know about the
-c boot option now! :-)

So anyway, I _do_ want to thank everybody who wrote me back.  Thanks a
lot.

I also wanted to say how impressed I am at the _level_ of help that seems
to be available for this OS.  I mean really.  I posted a kinda dumb question
to <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, and within an hour I get back no less
than _8_ helpful responses, not a single one of which is either condescending,
or insulting, or flaming in the slightest.  I can only conclude that you
folks must really still be in the mode where you are trying to sign up
converts to your OS, and that you are doing a good job of it.  I mean heck!
Bill Gates CHARGES MONEY for support that isn't 1/10th as good as this!
In short, I am impressed.  (Now if you could just make it impossible for
boneheads like me to screw up their ethernet card configurations, I'd be
_really_ impressed. :-)

P.S.  I have the network connection out of this box up and limping now,
but I still have a bit of configuration work to do.  (At least I can ping
it!)

After getting the I/O address or the card fixed, I ran into some more
minor snags, but I'm managing so far to sort those out for myself.

I don't know how, but somehow I managed to end up with support for the
`lp0' (parallel port IP) device configured but no support for the `ed0'
device... a situation which I managed to remedy by manually editing
/etc/rc.conf... although I'm still getting `lp0' ifconfig'd for some
reason.

Is it a well-known problem that in the 2.2.2 release, the comments that
end up in the /etc/rc.conf file are all screwed up?  I've manually edited
down a bunch of them so they look normal, but I guess that I really ought
to just sed them all to fix them all in one go.

-- Ron Guilmette, Roseville, California ---------- E-Scrub Technologies, Inc.
-- Deadbolt(tm) Personal E-Mail Filter demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/deadbolt/
-- Wpoison (web harvester poisoning) demo: http://monkeys.com/cgi-bin/wpoison