Date:      Tue, 09 Mar 1999 20:00:49 -0800
From:      Joey Garcia <gummibear@mediaone.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Slow DNS

Okay, so I set up a DNS (Telnet, FTP, and Web server too) at work.
Running FreeBSD 2.2.6 Release on a Pentium 133 with 32 megs of ram and a
10Mbs Etherlink III card.  We have about 20 users on the network with
two NT machines and a bunch of Windows 95/98 machines.

I set up the Winblows machines to point at 10.0.0.3 (the DNS, WEB,
TELNET, FTP server) for name service.  I can telnet to unix.foo.com but
it takes forever to actually get everything going it seems.  Even FTP is
really slow.  It will show that it's connected but takes for ever for
any data to be sent.

Anyone have any idea what could be slowing it down?  What bottle necks
could there be?  Could it be hardware or software?  Configuration file
that I may have missed?

Any help would be great!!

Joey Garcia