Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 1995 13:17:13 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com
Subject:   Re: Sup's Freefall-centric tree conventions

>Justin T. Gibbs writes:
>
>>Please read the files in ~ftp/sup on Freefall before commenting on
>>this subject further.
>
>A) I have read them.
>
>B) One portion of the files describe the user's end, another describe the
>server.
>  There will be multiple servers. Each of them should (I would say MUST)
>have the same structure. Joe User should be able to reference anyone of
>them by simply changing the server address. (Frankly, I would prefer that
>the server address be set in the first line and automatically remembered
>until it is changed. That would reduce the customization to a single
>point.)

The only thing that must be the same on all servers is the location of
the collection information (/home).  Where the actual files are stored
on your server is up to you and is controlled by the prefix field in
the release file for every collection.  This is entirely transparant to the
end user of SUP.

>C) A user should be able to sup ANY distribution tree without editing the
>sup files.

Supping any of the distributions requires a lot of disk space.  To expect
any user to be able to sup any distribution without making some adjustments
to their system is ludicrous.  By default, if they sup a src distribtion,
it will go in /usr/src where they will hopefully have enough space and
will probably expect it to show up (its called /usr/src for a reason).

>  Multiple trees should not step on each other.  The default case should
>not use /usr/src... that belongs to the user. If he wants to link to a
>distribution, he can add the single link. In fact, it could be argued that
>the install process should set that link to point to the sources actually
>used.

You're tayloring your system to the wrong crowd.  The people that know that
they want multiple source trees will take steps to ensure that they don't
clobber each other.  For 99% of the people out there who use SUP to update
their single copy of /usr/src, the defaults will do the right thing.

>Please consider the general case that supports multiple situations rather
>than the inverted ego-centric attitude that the user should move things
>around depending upon which version of a system he wants to use at that
>time.

SUP is flexible enough to handle either case.  I'm just trying to handle
the default case the best way.  There is nothing "ego-centric" about the
approach at all.  The hackers that want to do something special and can
easily figure out how to do what they want will have to do more work, but
the people who don't know how to make a symlink and don't know how to
modify supfiles will get the behavior they expect.

>Consider ....
>
>I want to run 2.1-RELEASE, but sup both -stable and -current to decide what
>changes I wish to integrate into my system.  Further, I will be a supserver
>for others for both -stable and -current.

You have very specific wishes.  Are they the same as every other client
of our SUP system?

>This should happen seamlessly using the defaults. I should not have to edit
>the supfiles.

Why?  They are only "example" supfiles, designed to handle the generic case.

>Joe and I think your present scheme should be improved.

Both of you are people with very specific needs.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations