Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 1999 21:23:54 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Weird out of swap problem

On Tuesday, 30 November 1999 at  7:34:11 -0500, Steve Hovey wrote:

> I upgraded several boxes here from 2.2.5 to 3.2 - one of the boxes is
> driving me crasy - every couple of days, it locks up with out of swap.
>
> All its running is merit radiusd  (which I had to also upgrade, the older
> binary wouldnt work under 3.2)
>
> I dont see a steady increase in ram use (like a steady leak would cause)

I think that may mean you're looking in the wrong place.  FreeBSD
tends to fill out RAM pretty soon, certainly a long time before
running out of swap.  Run top and see what it shows.  It will
certainly help you find when you're running out.  And I would guess
either a memory leak in radius, or possibly just not enough swap (how
much do you have?).

> The only other thing I can think of is that the scsi controller is
> an ISA 1542 adaptec - is there any known problem with 3.2's driver
> for this?

Well, it's not the most modern board, but there's no way that driver
problems could cause swap to fill up.

Greg