Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 02:45:10 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        Francisco Reyes <lists@reyes.somos.net>, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to change man pages?

On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 02:14:20PM -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Sep 2000, Mark Ovens wrote:
> > > From what I read this is not part of the Doc project.
> >
> > Oh yes they are
>

> Is this mentioned anywhere?

Not that I know of

> I did not see anything on the doc project pages.

> Also it would be helpfull to have some info or pointers about how one goes
> about working with man pages.

As I said in a previous post, read mdoc.samples(7), that's all I had
available (plus existing manpage files) when I learned.

Tip: gunzip(1) a manpage to /tmp

	# gunzip -c /path/to/foobar.1.gz > /tmp/foobar.1

investigate it/play with it and to view it use:

	# nroff -mandoc /tmp/foobar.1 | more

man(1) will only find manpages if they are in a sub-dir called man[1-9] of
a directory called ``man'', e.g. /some/path/man/man1/foobar.1.gz. The
``-M'' option only changes the name of the parent (man) directory.

--
		4.4 - The number of the Beastie