Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 2003 02:20:05 -1000 (HST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ghost for FreeBSD

	g4u doesn't work too well as I don't have another ftp server
locally other then the FreeBSD machine itself.  I already figured out how
to do it and a better way that can be done via cron automatically...

12.3.1 Using sysinstall(8)
Navigating Sysinstall

You may use /stand/sysinstall to partition and label a new disk using
its easy to use menus. Either login as user root or use the su command.
Run /stand/sysinstall and enter the Configure menu. Within the FreeBSD
Configuration Menu, scroll down and select the Fdisk option.

fdisk Partition Editor

Once inside fdisk, we can type A to use the entire disk for FreeBSD.
When asked if you want to ``remain cooperative with any future possible
operating systems'', answer YES. Write the changes to the disk using W.
Now exit the FDISK editor by typing q. Next you will be asked about the
Master Boot Record. Since you are adding a disk to an already running
system, choose None.

Disk Label Editor

Next, you need to exit sysinstall and start it again. Follow the
directions above, although this time choose the Label option. This will
enter the Disk Label Editor. This is where you will create the traditional
BSD partitions. A disk can have up to eight partitions, labeled a-h. A few
of the partition labels have special uses. The a partition is used for the
root partition (/). Thus only your system disk (e.g, the disk you boot
from) should have an a partition. The b partition is used for swap
partitions, and you may have many disks with swap partitions. The c
partition addresses the entire disk in dedicated mode, or the entire
FreeBSD slice in slice mode. The other partitions are for general use.

sysinstall's Label editor favors the e partition for non-root, non-swap
partitions. Within the Label editor, create a single file system by typing
C. When prompted if this will be a FS (file system) or swap, choose FS and
type in a mount point (e.g, /mnt). When adding a disk in post-install
mode, sysinstall will not create entries in /etc/fstab for you, so the
mount point you specify is not important.

In this stage, specify / for the mountpoint to get the a partition and
then change the mountpoint to /mnt/root before exiting or writing in the
label editor.

You are now ready to write the new label to the disk and create a file
system on it. Do this by typing W. Ignore any errors from sysinstall that
it could not mount the new partition. Exit the Label Editor and sysinstall
completely.

After this:
mkdir /mnt
mkdir /mnt/root
mkdir /mnt/var
mkdir /mnt/usr

/sbin/mount /dev/ad1s1a /mnt/root
/sbin/mount /dev/ad1s1e /mnt/var
/sbin/mount /dev/ad1s1f /mnt/usr

cd /mnt/root
/sbin/dump -L -f- /|restore -rf-
cd /mnt/var
/sbin/dump -L -f- /var|restore -rf-
cd /mnt/usr
/sbin/dump -L -f- /usr|restore -rf-

Cheers,
Vince - vince@WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin