Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:25:14 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        darryl@osborne-ind.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /var/log/messages question

Darryl Hoar wrote:

>Greetings,
>I have a 4.4-stable box configured as my firewall
>running IPFilter and doing nat and routing to
>the internet.
>
>I keep getting:
>
>Mar 16 13:10:09 darryl /kernel: arplookup 10.2.2.2 failed: host is not on
>local network
>
>in my /var/log/messages file.  It is coming from my DSL facing interface.  I
>used ethereal
>to capture packets and determine the MAC address.  Turns out to be a "vendor
>testpoint"
>on some OSI gear the ISP is using.  They cannot correct this problem.
>
>ARP comes way before IPFilter, therefore I do not believe it can be
>filtered.
>
>Is there anything I can do to prevent these warnings/errors from clogging up
>my
>log files ?
>
>thanks,
>Darryl

I think you could change /etc/syslog.conf
and -HUP the syslog daemon.

However, I can't tell you what level
of message that is; and therefore can't
tell you exactly what to change in that
file.  I imagine that its "kern.debug" ...
but I'm not sure.  Not to mention, losing
"kern.debug" might take away something
you'll need next time you have a problem.

I guess you could experiment, if you're
not too afraid of losing other log messages;
or you could script something to strip that
line and run it via cron....

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.