Date:      Wed, 02 Feb 2000 16:12:09 +0900
From:      Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Subject:   FreeBSD-specific extension of struct mtget breaks dump(8) from Solaris

rmt(8) returns the result of MTIOCGET filled into struct mtget in
response to the 'S' command, issued by dump(8) of some certain OSs
including Solaris. (FreeBSD's one seems to not issue the 'S' command)
Due to the extention made to struct mtget in FreeBSD, remote dump
from, eg Solaris to FreeBSD fails to establish rmt connection.

Maybe we would have to provide something like struct mtget_org for
compatibility with other OSs. Also, if we were to issue 'S' in our
dump(8), some command extention may be required. (any plans?)

Any comments?

--
Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp> <tanimura@FreeBSD.org>