Date:      Fri, 31 Dec 2010 01:13:57 -0500
From:      Chris Brennan <xaero@xaerolimit.net>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Cc:        Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a new hard-drive in a 2y/o laptop

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 9:19 PM, Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au> wrote:

> Goodo.  I'll try chopping a bit too ..

Cleaning out my cruft, leaving only yours :D

>  Assuming that's 'oseek=0', which is the default anyway.

yes, a typo in my e-mail only, I got the cmd right in the installer.

> Fair enough.  'what BIOS thinks' here is fine on modern disks/boxes, but
> the issue here is what a new(ish) user might conceive of as 'modern'!

I'm left to assume that I have a modern system w/ a modern hard-drive (duh
lol)

>  Yes, you should go with this.  'modern BIOS versions' here refers to
> anything later than (roughly) the mid-90s!  An 'old machine' in this
> context - remembering sysinstall was originally written then - was one
> not using LBA (logical block addressing), when 8GB was a fairly big HD
> at least for IDE, when the 'big guys' were mostly using SCSI disks.
>
> That message is actually a lot less scary than it was until a couple of
> years ago, when it used to cause much more angst and regular posts, see:
>

> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/usr.sbin/sysinstall/disks.c.diff?r1=1.160;r2=1.161;f=h

I think it's fair to say, this is still causing some angst. :( I will check
out your link when my brain is far less foggy then it is right now. I'm a
bit woozy you could say, nyquil works fast on an empty stomach!

> You don't say what alternative geometry you entered here, if any .. but
> really this whole thing needs to go away.  Maybe it needs some heuristic
> to see if it could _even possibly_ be an ancient HD needing alternative
> geometry?  In any case, anything after 2000 is definitely 'modern'.

Indeed, I didn't, because I wasn't given a choice by sysinstall, it made the
choice for me.

> Copying this to Bruce Cran, who's been hacking on sysinstall lately.

Left Bruce in the CC, hopefully he'll offer some useful advice. :D *crosses
fingers*

> Ok, I've been hunting for a commit message I noticed relatively recently
> and can't find just now, but I think it was to the effect that Bruce had
> fixed some breakage when choosing 'A' for auto-partitioning, which you
> indicated having chosen above.

It would appear that the layout changes with each new major revision of
FBSD, I have different defaults on the old Sony VAIO on the floor next to me
that is running 7.3/i386.

> Indeed you have, and sorry I missed recalling this issue till now.
>
> Bruce may have something to add, but if I'm not mistaken you may just
> need to NOT use 'A' with your 8.1 install media, but to enter values
> manually.  Alternatively, this may be a good time to grab an 8.2-BETA1
> disc1 or memstick image where this is likely fixed, but in any case, if
> I had a FreeBSD slice with even half of ~700GB I'd be very much more
> generous with / and /tmp, and /var if you'll be using eg big databases.
>
> HTH, Ian

No worries on missing it, I'm not sure that helped, I farted around with it
again earlier today with little more in the way of success. What I tried was
to just set up '/' and swamp and it still prompted me about not being able
to find /dev/ad4s1b. I will grab an 8.2B1 image tomorrow when I get up and
try that, see if it fairs better. Right now, I must sleep, this side of the
world is now just after 1am!

C-