Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 1999 18:03:40 +0200 (METDST)
From:      hm@hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vanishing isdnd - whats that ?

From the keyboard of Christoph Weber-Fahr:

> > > you have to set idletime-outgoing to a non-zero value. I use 30, but _any_
> > > value other than 0 is OK. Perhaps the code for I4B_TIMEOUT_UPD should use
> > > a default if a value of 0 is passed in ?

This would be a band-aid.

> > Should we allow for an "infinite" value, or is this just to prone of pilot
> > errors?
>
> actually, this value in my config had precisely this purpose, is there
> this way since 0.63, and although I don't find that anywhere in
> the documentation I seem to remember having read somewhere (here ?),
> that a 0 timeout meant no timeout.

What is needed here is a semantics checker at startup time which parses
the given configuration for all sorts of interactions with each (possible
and given) parameter and checks it.

I'm too lazy to write this one. I wrote a rudimentary one for bisdn and it
was a pain to write and even more to maintain.

> If that's not 'the way', what can I use to acchieve a completely
> manually controlled link ?

This is the second problem. The concept of a "completely manually controlled
link" is new to my brain and as such to isdnd too :-) When i wrote it, i had
in mind to make it as completely automatically controlled as possible.

Anyway i'll happily accept diffs to make all this work ;-)

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                                    Tel   +49 40 559747-70
HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH                Fax   +49 40 559747-77