Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 2003 10:26:54 -0700
From:      Scott Schappell <archon-sender-7e5359@silvertree.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrading to 4.9 CVS vs. binary?

It seems that 4.9 is rapidly on its way to becoming RELEASE, which is a good
thing.  I'm currently running 4.8-p3 on my production server, and I don't
have a spare to build then move over, so it will be an in place upgrade.

Which upgrade path would be the best? CVS or installing from a binary ISO
CD?

If CVS, I'm assuming I need to add *default  tag=RELENG_4_9  when it's
released to my cvsup file to grab it, or do I need to start tracking
stable RELENG_4?

My hunch is CVS will be the better way to do it, and the last time I tried
upgrading the system with a binary, it exploded (learned then don't do a
binary upgrade when it's running the kernel and multiuser, thank god for
backups).

What is the recommendation of folks on this list?

Thanks :)
--
PGP Key: http://archon.silvertree.org/pgp.txt
"Compassion and retribution are two sides of the same coin. Necessity