Date:      Thu, 29 May 2014 02:16:09 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Eric Rapilly <eric.rapilly@orange.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: tar gz

On Wed, 28 May 2014 21:41:17 +0200, Eric Rapilly wrote:
> Hello, I hope that everything is OK for you. My problem is that i'have
> got a package like i18n-fr.tar.gz, i.e a package for french language.

Which software does this belong to?

> believe Ill have to compile it.

Why do you believe this? A .tar.gz file is just a compressed
archive that can contain anything. Some of those files do not
even have to be uncompressed and extracted - some programs
process them in this form (comparable to compressed manpages).

Try the command

	% tar tvzf i18n-fr.tar.gz | less

do check what's in this file. The options here are t = test,
v = verbose, z = gzip (un)compression, f = filename, and the
actual filename of course. See "man tar" for details.

> What are the step to be followed? If you
> could be very accurate, I'll appreciate . Bye and thanks

It depends.

Sometimes,

	% ./configure
	% make
	% make install

is possible, maybe requiring further options for the "configure"
script, and sometimes you need to run

	% gmake

instead of make. But in order to compile and install software,
you should use the means provided by the ports collection, i. e.,
install the software via the ports tree, a port management tool
like portmaster, or from a binary package with pkg. You'll find
more information about this topic in The FreeBSD Handbook.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany