Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 20:59:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs linux

David Kelly writes:
> [--snip--]
>> On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 08:54:58PM -0600, David Kelly wrote:

>>> The majority of Linux users are also Windows users and wear
>>> Microsoft-colored glasses no matter how much they badmouth
>>> Microsoft. They continue to build their new land with a
>>> Microsoft tint. This may not be a bad thing, only time will tell.
>
> What I mean by "Microsoft tint" is prefaced by "Microsoft-colored
> glasses". Users who know only of Windows bitch when an OS doesn't do
> everything the way they are used to. When configuring a foreign system,
> or writing code for it, they design the user interface after the
> Microsoft model. And use Microsoft terminology to document. And then
> complain about how much they hate Microsoft.

The GNOME+Gtk desktop looks like OS/2 and Motif. NeXT-like themes
are very common. The usual title bar buttons are actually useful,
and hey, Motif was quite a Windows 3.1 rip-off anyway.

It is stupid to invent a gratuitously incompatible user interface.

> A small thing but last time I sat at a Linux keyboard "dir" did
> the DOS thing, by default.

ROTFL!!!

How did you discover this? Perhaps you typed "dir" at the prompt?
Fortunately, the command was there when you needed it. :-)

I'm sure this command is really detrimental to the system. Heh.