Date:      Thu, 24 Dec 1998 14:10:14 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: time_t and clock_t

Jonathan Chen wrote in list.freebsd-alpha:
 > On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
 > > Neither POSIX nor XPG require any particular type, only that it be large
 > > enough to hold a particular range of values; e.g. time_t must be large
 > > enough to hold a count of the number of seconds in a day, a number that
 > > easily fits in an int.
 >
 > Here's my 2 cents:
 >
 > 	time_t should be `long' ie 64 bits, 'cos once 2038(?) rolls around
 > 	we're gonna have problems with time(3) - which gets used heaps -
 > 	if we still stuck with 32 bits.
 >
 > IMHO, Digital really made a bad boo-boo with sticking to 32 bits.

... and the 2 cents of mine:

In the year 2038, int will be >= 64 bits anyway (IF we're
still programming in C by then, which I doubt).  So let's
rather stay compatible and let time_t be an int.  In fact,
we're gonna have problems if it's not an int, because many
software assumes that it's an int.  This might not be good
style, but it's a fact.

Oliver Fromme

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)