Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2001 09:59:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Peter Grigor <p_grigor@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Prevalence of FreeBSD and UNIX among servers

I certainly understand Jeremiah's points when it comes to _client_ type
software...I do my editing using EditPlus on Windows...however the
point of the original thread (I think) was pointed towards the *server*
market. Even though Windows development tools are "easy to use", they
still lack the elegance and reliability of Unix (ie BSD) development
tools. There is a certain uncomfortability a developer has when
developing for Windows...you sometimes just don't know what's going on
behind the scenes...and have no way of finding out. Plus the operating
system's design itself is inferior to Unix-type OS's.

I wouldn't ever use anything by BSD for any web or ftp serving...and
very quickly the open souce databases are catching up. The old saw is
sad but true...Windows measures uptime in days; Unix measures uptime in
years.

Peter
<^_^>

--- Jeremiah Gowdy <jeremiah@sherline.com> wrote:
> > the next few years.  Notice that quality wasn't mentioned - they
> are
> > good enough for most people to resist changing.
>
> I hate to throw a pitch for the other team, but I evaluate all of my
> software equally no matter who produces it.  Microsoft Office XP and
> Microsoft Visual Studio/Visual C++ 6.0 are more than good enough.
> They are
> excellent products.  I've not seen one product comparable to either
> one.
> Star Office is primative compared to Microsoft Office XP, and the
> only
> development environments which even begin to compete with Visual
> Studio are
> also for the Win32 platform.  I've seen Borland/Inprise/whoever's
> offering.
> It's about as impressive as Borland Builder, which is to say, not
> very.
>
> Some people don't seem to understand that it's a good thing that
> Microsoft
> doesn't embrace the open-source platforms, because even with all the
> (sometimes senseless) Microsoft hating, if they offered Internet
> Explorer,
> Office XP, and Visual Studio for FreeBSD and Linux, almost EVERYONE
> would
> use them.  Most of the people who hated Microsoft would be lying
> through
> their teeth saying they weren't.
>
> My point is simply that people can sit an knock on a Microsoft
> product for
> having bugs and vulnerabilities, and that's fine.  But Microsoft has
> better
> products in many of the important catagories.
>
> I would kill to be able to develop, compile, and execute my FreeBSD
> programs
> under Visual Studio.  I already do when I'm making it portable.
>
> I'm all for the free software jihad.  Consider me a card carrying
> member.
> But I try to look at these things realisticly.  Saying Linux or
> FreeBSD is
> going to crush Windows any time soon, would be like the people who
> two or
> three years ago claimed that cable modems were going to put AOL out
> of
> business.
>
> The average user doesn't care about execution speed, the cost of
> upgrading
> their computer, Microsoft business tactics, free software, open
> source,
> security vulnerabilities, or anything along those lines.  What they
> care
> about is ease of use, corporate support, compatibility, and
> productivity.
> Until the open source movement capture the hearts of the masses by
> meeting
> the needs _they_ think are important, significant inroads will not be
> made
> [...]

=====

Peter Grigor
email:
p_grigor@yahoo.com

web site:
http://www.alerx.com:8000/peter

**Do NOT look directly into LASER with remaining eye**