Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 2008 08:19:40 -0500
From:      eculp@casasponti.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Auto blacklist ssh connections ...

Quoting andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com>:

> On Wed 2008-09-17 19:36:02 UTC-0400, Tom Marchand =20
> (m0rchand@comcast.net) wrote:
>
>>> Does anyone know of a utility that I can use with sshd to auto-block
>>> by IP if there are more then N failed attempts in a row?
>
>> Why don't you have sshd listen on a different port?
>
> I imagine that on some hosts where there are multiple users/customers,
> moving sshd to another port isn't a practical solution due to people's
> habits in trying to connect to the default port.  A human problem
> rather than a technical one.
>
> PS. Top posting is cruel.

I`ve been more or less watching this thread and haven't seen the use =20
of   the ssh-bruteforce rules from the pf on line howtos being =20
recommended.  In my own case pf, in addition to a couple of other =20
changes, has worked well for us.  In the other changes mentioned we =20
have also changed the ssh port that doesn't add security but has =20
basically stopped logfiles full of dictionary attempts from what I =20
expect are windows machines that have been violated and are being used =20
to find more.

I would highly recommend pf brutforce rules or something similar with =20
other firewalls.

ed