Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 10:39:11 -0400
From:      Mark Conway Wirt <mark@intrepid.net>
To:        "Mike Avery (on the road)" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why not uucp, instead of smtp and static ip?

On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 08:39:19AM -0000, Mike Avery (on the road) wrote:

> If someone is running Exchange, Lotus Notes, Groupwise,
> Sendmail, or even Mercury, they are trying to run their own email
> services.  And it would seem to be easiest if they have a fixed IP
> address.
>
> Even if you can remap the IP address for mail.mycustomer.com in
> DNS on the fly, the changes will take a while to propogate.... it
> seems better to give these people a static IP, even if it is a pain.
>
> Or - do you have a better solution?

Something like UUCP is a better solution.  I can run the primary (and
only) MX for the domain and spool it up via UUCP. [UUCP over TCP is the
way to go, BTW].

Why is this better?:

   1) No need for static addresses.
   2) No potentially confusing "Unable to deliver..." messages if the
      customer doesn't retrieve their mail for a long time.

--Mark