Date:      Tue, 13 Dec 2005 07:49:16 -0800
From:      "Gayn Winters" <gaynw@bristolsystems.com>
To:        "'Ted Mittelstaedt'" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, "'Winelfred G. Pasamba'" <winelfredpasamba@gmail.com>, "'Yance Kowara'" <yance_kowara@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD router two DSL connections

http://faq.pfsense.org/index.php?sid=3D13525&lang=3Den&action=3Dartikel&c=
at=3D6&
id=3D18&artlang=3Den

> "Load balancing is on per connection basis, not a bandwidth basis.
All
> packets in a given flow will go over only one link."

> In other words, they are redefining the term "load balancing" into
> something that is not understood by any previously accepted definition
> of load balancing, so that people like you can think your getting
> something for nothing.

> Once more - FTP to a remote site with your dual DSL links.  Copy
> a FreeBSD ISO file to there.  Watch as the upload speed IS NO FASTER
> THAN ONE OF THE LINKS.

> Ted

I just looked at the pfsense site, and for an Internet Caf=E9, it looks
promising.  Two DSL lines to different ISP's does give a small amount of
redundancy.  Whether you use two routers or pfsense, you get some sort
of "load sharing" but not "load balancing."  A more appropriate
performance test for an Internet Caf=E9 would be:

Take a dozen PC's each to transfer a FreeBSD 6.0R ISO file from a dozen
different mirror sites.  Start them at the same time and see how long
the all of the transfers take. =20

You can test one DSL connection at N kbps and two DSL connections both
at N kbps.  You'll undoubtedly see the effect of "load sharing" if the
dozen PC's are more or less evenly divided over the two DSL lines.

The redundancy isn't great, and you will pay for it.  Namely, two N kbps
connections will cost you more than one 2N connection.  If you ran my
benchmark on a 2N connection you might actually see an improvement over
two N kbps connections due to to its inherent load balancing.  In any
case, with a single (or a small number) of users (Ted's benchmark test)
you would definitely see an improvement over two N kbps connections.

Now the question:  is a faster AND cheaper 2N connection a better setup
than two N kbps connections for our fabled Internet Caf=E9? =20

I'd personally go with the 2N connection.  Almost all the time it would
be better.  Most large ISPs, for a little more money of course, will
give you a faster response time on repairs.  The ISP might even provide
a bank of modems and you could implement multilink PPP as your backup.

Regarding a combination of DSL and cable, that would be where pfsense
may shine.  This combo would definitely give a little better redundancy
than two DSL connections to two ISP because the cable comes in to you
building differently than the DSL/phone lines.  A backhoe would have
less chance of taking both out.  Honestly, I still think a 2N connection
would be better.

-gayn

Bristol Systems Inc.
714/532-6776