Date:      23 Jun 1999 11:05:35 -0000
From:      efb@cotdazr.org
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        efb@cotdazr.org
Subject:   /dev/bpf0, modload ?

Trying to build a shadow intrusion detector on FreeBSD 2.2.8.

It relies upon several pieces ( www.nswc.navy.mil/ISSEC/CID )
which are libpcap, a BPF interface, and tcpdump .. WHICH
someone here prolly knows is dependent upon /dev/bpfN ..

That is good for the experienced kernel savvy folk .. but
I have to plead ignorance . . I remember that my F.BSD 2.0.5
did NOT as I got it support BPF .. so I will guess when
I ls -l /dev/bpf0 and find a device present but try to
run tcpdump (as root ) and get a

  tcpdump: /dev/bpf0: Device not configured

message .. I will guess I need to find some knowledgebase
docs on how to rebuild the kernel to include the /dev/bpfN ..

NOT too obvious from /sys/...conf/GENERIC and friends ...

DONT suppose I can modload what I need ?

SO .. PLEASE send me to the right hacks list .. thanks

/Everett/