Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 1996 20:47:47 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        robmel@innotts.co.uk (Robin Melville)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, shovey@buffnet.net
Subject:   Re: Need rpc.rlockd -- any chance of finding it?

Robin Melville stands accused of saying:

> Thanks for your blindingly rapid response to my query!

Hey, this is support, FreeBSD style 8)

> >The first is :  Abandon NFS for your PCs (and if possible, Macs as well).
> >I would _strongly_ advise experimenting with the 'samba' package that's
> >in the ports collection.  This will provide markedly superior performance,
> >and as a side effect, get around the original problem.

> Interesting idea, but I'm reluctant to move to multi-protocol
> networking. We need TCP/IP for SQL client/server work. NFS seems an
> elegant solution to file sharing too, and works cheerfully and quickly
> in its current implementation (on the SCO box).

I'm not suggesting you should abandon TCP; samba runs SMB (aka. Lan
Manager, aka. "microsoft windows network") over TCP.  It basically
does all that you're doing with NFS, but in an idiom that suits the
PC rather better than NFS does.

The only shadow there is at what level your TCP stack currently runs;
if you're working at the Winsock level, you're laughing.  Further
down, you may hit trouble, it's hard to know without knowing about your
current config.

> >For the Macs the solution is a little murkier.  There may be SMB clients
> >for the Mac as well, alternatively there's at least one, if not two
> >Appletalk servers that work under FreeBSD.
>
> Hmmm, see what I mean...

Then again if the Macs don't bitch about NFS locking... 8)

> >The second answer is : rpc.lockd is under development for FreeBSD.  Sun
> >don't document the protocol, and it would take serious money to get
> >such information.  There's an implementation of it in FreeBSD-current,
> >but I'm not sure whether it would build and run under -stable or 2.1R.

> I had a good hunt around on the FreeBSD ftp area before I posted
> originally. I've just had another ... can't see hair nor hide of this
> port. Is it included in the distribution, rather than as a package or
> port?

It's part of the -current distribution; look for the unpacked -current
tree in /src/usr.sbin/rpc.lockd.  I can't verify (from here) whether it
is actually functional, or merely a skeleton at this stage.