Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 22:05:33 +0200 (IST)
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>
To:        Ron Scott <ron.scott@subdimension.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pthreads bug?

Quoting Ron Scott <ron@GeP18-5.NyirCaTv.BroadBand.hu>:

> Today Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>
> > * Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il> [000929 01:23] wrote:
> > > btw, linux doesn't dump core on threaded application, how one's
> supposed to
> > > debug it?
> >
> > No clue on that one. :(
> >

> Maybe with abort(), raise(SIGSEGV), kill(getpid(), SIGSEGV) ???
Have you tried? I think not.
The linux creates a _process_ for every thread. These processes share memory.
That's the linux's threads implementation. For good and for bad.
But, the fact remains that if one of the threads does something bad, no core
is dumped. I guess that Linux people haven't decided what to do when one
of the processes which is a "thread" dies. They just kill other processes.
No core is dumped.

--Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
[ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]