Date:      Wed, 06 Dec 2000 22:00:01 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: Threads in the base system

> On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Brian Somers wrote:
> > Good spot.  I believe NOLIBC_R should/must go.
>
> I was just [re]thinking about this.  When we get libpthread (work
> has just started on this), then libc_r will eventually go away.
> It's not clear yet whether libpthread will exist as a separate
> entity or whether it will evolve from libc_r.  It's possible
> that NOLIBC_R might actually become the default.

We should really be advocating using threads in the base system
rather than discouraging it (well, of course that's my view :-).
I suspect however that to most people, libc_r is just some extra
buildworld overhead....

I've already cast my vote, and can't see any strong argument not to
remove NOLIBC_R (especially now that it breaks world :-)

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>