Date:      Fri, 22 Jul 2016 11:23:26 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Chris Dunbar <chris@dunbar.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Slow performance with Intel X540-T2 10Gb NIC

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 6:48 AM, Chris Dunbar <chris@dunbar.net> wrote:

> Hi Sami,
>
> I haven't actually fixed anything yet. I have only demonstrated that the
> poor performance does not appear to happen between two FreeBSD boxes and
> possibly between a Linux and FreeBSD, but I am going to confirm that now.=
> have also seen good performance between the Windows box and Linux so that
> doesn't quite add up either. I may have to break out Wireshark and make
> some packet captures to see if I can tell what's going on. If I find
> anything, I will be sure to share it.
>
> Regards,
> Chris

16 12:33 AM,=E2=80=8F "Chris Dunbar" < chris@dunbar.net > =D7=9B=D7=AA=D7=
=91:

> Hello again,
>
> I have good news and bad news:
>
> The bad news first: I am an idiot and I have wasted some of your time for
> which I apologize.
>
> The good news: Testing now between two FreeBSD 10.3 systems, I am
> achieving blistering speeds with iperf3. I apparently fell into the trap =
of
> assuming the new thing (FreeBSD is new to me) was broken. Now I see that =
> was assuming Windows was working fine and focusing all my attention on
> FreeBSD. Looking back over everything I have done to troubleshoot this
> situation I must conclude that the performance issue was on the Windows
> side and not the FreeBSD side. I am less concerned about that because my
> ultimate goal is to install my three X540s into one FreeBSD server and tw=
> VMware ESXi hosts. I am now fairly confident performance will be great.
>
> Many thanks for your collective attention and the suggestions I received
> from Eric and others.
>
> Regards,
> Chris

This sort of problem can be very tricky to diagnose. I'd like to suggest
that one of the tool you use should be  SIFTR. It does kernel level
collection of network statistics and is a loadable module. By default it i
IPv4 only. It will have to be re-built with "CFLAGS+=3D-DSIFTR_IPV6"
uncommented in /sys/modules/siftr/Makefile for IPv6 support. It starts,
stops, amd manages collection under the control of 4 sysctls.

I have found it invaluable for analysis of netork performance issues, but
seems to not be widely known.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com