Date:      Sun, 10 Feb 2013 23:43:34 +0100
From:      Koop Mast <kwm@rainbow-runner.nl>
To:        Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: 9.1-RELEASE is out - is there any hope for an actual graphics/gimp-app?

On 10-2-2013 21:39, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 11:17 AM, Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> As ajtiM suggests, @gnome is the place to look. Several threads on this.
>>>
>>> It, along with the whole of Gnome, were planned to be updated when 9.1
>>> was released, but the loss of pointyhat and the complexity of the
>>> update of Gnome with potential impact on literally hundreds of ports
>>> has forced a delay. It would be extremely unwise to do this without
>>> the level of testing pointyhat allows.
>>>
>>> Now that the FreeBSD cluster and support systems are finally coming
>>> back on-line, maybe it is getting closer, but I suspect that the
>>> testing and required adjustments will take a while after pointyhat is
>>> running.
>> I'm testing some updates on one of my machines, but as I'm sure you
>> appreciate doing builds of vast numbers of packages takes a while when you
>> are only using one :)
>>
>> I really hope it'll be done soon-ish, but there's stuff to fix as well.
>>
>> Also, s,hundreds,thousands, ....
> I try to not sound hyperbolic and hundreds is bad enough!
>
> At least redports is back! Or almost is. It dies for me when I log in.
> I reported it a couple of hours ago, so it will likely be fixed
> shortly. In any case, for things like releasing a new gnome and all
> that is tied to it, pointyhat is probably the only practical way to
> go.

Since I'm doing to work, I would like to present my game plan. Currently
in testing is a glib+gtk update patch, this patch also contains other
changes that need proper testing. When the patch is imported I'm going
to sort out all our stale ports we got updates for in MC. Which include
gimp 2.8, new poppler, libgda 4 and 5 updates and going to see there is
anything else thats needs attention. When thats cleaned up I'm going to
sort out the GNOME 3 situation. As you can see this is a lot of work,
and since I'm mostly on my own doesn't help either.

-Koop