Date:      Sat, 19 Dec 2009 20:23:15 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jamie Griffin <jg@koderize.com>
Subject:   Re: question about building a custom kernel

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 04:13:09PM +0000, Jamie Griffin wrote:
> The handbook suggests the command:
>=20
> # pciconf -lv=20
>=20
> On my system, this command does print out information for quite a few
> components, I just wondered if this information is all I need to work
> from or is it not an accurate or detailed enough representation of the
> hardware I have in my computer. I'd really appreciate any advice on how
> others go about this. =20

It should provide most of the information that you need. But it shows only =
for
devices that are connected to the PCI bus! Devices connected to the USB bus
will not show up here (except from the USB controllers).=20

If you look at the first line for every device, the one with the @ in it, y=
ou
can see if a driver has attached to that device in question. Devices whose
name start with 'none' followed by a number followed by @ do not have a dri=
ver
installed.

Another thing you should look for is which modules are loaded, use the comm=
and
'kldstat' for that. =20

Also have a look at the output of the 'dmesg' command. That will show you
which devices are being detected and initialized. This will also show you w=
hat
kind of CPU you have.

Roland
--=20