Date:      Sat, 2 Dec 2000 15:39:37 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Robert Inder <R.Inder@ed.ac.uk>
Cc:        ports@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with Ports (DOCNUMENTATION BUG)

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 06:09:57PM +0000, Robert Inder wrote:

> I've just had a problem with a port.
>
> I am running FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE.
>
> I fetched the port for linux-netscape-6, and did a "make".
> After the make, I tried to "make install", and it failed
> because it could not find the file list.
>
> A friend told me that whereas in the past, ports had a "pkg" directory
> containing "DESCR", "COMMENT" and "PLIST" files, they now just
> have pkg-descr, pkg-comment and pkg-plist files.  The netscape package
> had the latter, and my system was looking for the former.  Simply making
> the "pkg" directory and copying the files appropriately seemed to fix
> the problem.
>
> BUT....
> this, surely, isn't the right answer, is it?
>
> There is, presumably, some "official" way to update my system's ports
> processing make files.
>
> And the obvious place to look for how to do this is the
> Ports pages at www.FreeBSD.org.

Actually, what you're looking for is there, not in the Ports pages, but
in the Handbook :)  Look at http://www.FreeBSD.org/handbook/synching.html,
it describes how to pull the latest versions of the source tree and/or
the ports tree.

In your case, you need to update your ports collection, and especially
the ports-base collection - the one which holds all the /usr/ports/Mk/
makefiles doing all the magic behind the scenes when building ports :)

If you encounter any problems with updating your source/ports tree,
please post questions to freebsd-questions@freebsd.org.

Hope that helps :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
If there were no counterfactuals, this sentence would not have been paradoxical.