Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 1998 12:48:22 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        John Birrell <jb@freebsd1.cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, jim.king@mail.sstar.com, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha port..

John Birrell scribbled this message on Jan 7:
> Another thing that needs some effort IMHO, is keeping the device driver
> interface consistent between the BSD variants so that anyone can pick up
> a driver from one and use it on another. I'd like to see someone write
> a design document that defines exactly what the device driver interface
> is. And I don't mean example code, but something you could test for
> compliance against. And if you're being adventurous, try including the
> NetBSD design in there too. But I guess that is not the sort of thing
> that hackers want to do. 8-(

guess you need to read my busdevice spec...  oh, I've moved locations
and now it will be MUCH faster to pull...
http://d182-89.uoregon.edu/~jmg/FreeBSD/busdevice.html
Please read and send comments about it...  I've started to expand the
document on more than just the structures that it contains...

personally, NetBSD started in the right direction with their bus_space
code, but they never completed the project... I'm actually going to use
their bus_space code without modifications (if it goes well)...  but
the rest of their bus code is to limiting...  this will make porting
existing netbsd drivers easier..  I did port netbsd's strip driver (for
Metricom modems) in a few hours.. it was more problems changing the
if.if_xname to our broken down version of if.if_name and if.if_unit..

also, I've noticed that nexus seems to be used a bunch in the unix world
to talk about the processor bus (I know that SunOS uses it, and I think
it's mentioned in BSD's config)...  so is this an ideal name for the
processor bus?  I've been trying to think of one, but I haven't come up
with one yet...

thanks for the suggestions...  ttyl..

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD