Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 00:12:34 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Galecki <step2@pacbell.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware

Galecki wrote:

> I recently upgraded my preferred non-windows machine, running RedHat 6.2,
> and am disappointed in the fact that I am unable to run my ATA 100 _OR_ 66
> hard drive, I can't even get past install.  I was turned on to the idea of
> freeBSD by a colleague of mine.  Does freeBSD support this new technology?
> Do you know where I can find a larger, more specific hardware compatibility
> sheet?

Version 4.2 supports the ATA-100. I think there have been some fixes
in 4.2-Stable. It also depends on the motherboard. There are some
timing issues in the Bios on the Abit KT7's but are supposed to be
fixed in the bios. I set my Maxtor 100 to UDMA33 and haven't been
having problems. They also are running UDMA100 either. The cpu is a
AMD Athlon 900.

What release are you trying to install?

Kent

>     *I've seen where Microshaft wants to drag me, and I don't want to go
> there*
>             -Galto-

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA