Date:      Thu, 01 Feb 2007 10:46:15 +0100
From:      Frank Staals <frankstaals@gmx.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Automatically detach screen after given amount of time ? / Authpf in background ?

A couple days ago I set up authpf on my FreeBSD gateway for
authentication of my wifi network. Everything works great, the only
thing that is/was bothering me was that I had to keep open a terminal on
my laptop for the ssh session. I quickly thought of using screen to fix
that  problem. The thing is I want to see the confirmation authpf gives
when starting the ssh transfer ( The 'welcome <username> you are
authenticated from <ip>' message ). After that it should just send the
ssh session to the background. So I came up with this script :

frank@Riza$ cat /home/scripts/root/seescreen
#!/bin/sh

#### script to log in to connect to screen for only a set amount of time

## Settings to use:
rtime="3" ## time to wait before calling screen's reatach
dtime="4" ## time to wait before calling screen's detach

# if called with '-reatach'
if [ "$1" = "-reatach" ] ; then
        sleep $rtime

        seescreen -detach &

        screen -r
fi
# if called with '-detach'

if [ "$1" = "-detach" ] ; then
        sleep $dtime

        screen -d
fi

now I could start my authentication session with 'screen -wipe; sudo
wlan ; seescreen -reatach ; screen -d -m ssh -l wifi wlanserver'. (
where wlan is an other script to set up my wlan connection '. I made an
alias in my bashrc file to prevent typing all this. The weird thing is
that the first times I ran my script during testruns I could set the
rtime to 1 but then it seemed that wasn't enouth time so I had to make 2
of it and everything worked again. But then it didn't work with 2 either
and I had to set it to 3 and now even 3 doesn't seem enough to reconnect
to my screen session. It shouldn't take that long to start the 'screen
-d -m <command>' does it ?

So my question was: Am I missing something resulting in the need of a
longer rtime ? If there is nothing wrong with it what would be a good
value ? Or is there some other way I could run my ssh session in the
background ?

Regards,

--
-Frank Staals