Date:      Sun, 04 Mar 2001 09:32:18 -0800
From:      richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
To:        Tyler K McGeorge <treznor@sunflower.com>
Cc:        scott taylor <scott@linuxmail.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install over network

I do not believe this is a true statement.

More precisely, during the boot process, you have an opportunity to "View/Set
various installation options", as the menu states.

In this menu you can set the FTP user (default is 'ftp'; for grins, you could
change it to 'anonymous' and things would probably still work).

Further on, when you select FTP as the installation media, it asks you to
specify an IP address, and, if memory serves me correctly, a path to the
installation root. I have used this in the past, in conjunction with another
FreeBSD server, to create an FTP server at home containing the entire
installation tree for a specific release of FreeBSD (painfully downloaded via
56k :-), and have installed via FTP locally. I've done this a few times, now.

Provided the DOS-based FTP server behaves correctly, I see no problems; maybe
some gotchas with the pathnames containing "/" versus "\", though. (Wouldn't
that be a PITA.)

Recent releases may differ; but I would be astonished as this would represent a
retreat from the principles of modularity and flexibility that UNIX (and
FreeBSD) are renowned for.

-- richard

Tyler K McGeorge wrote:

> Well, the FTP install media actually reads specifically from the FreeBSD FTP
> (ftp.freebsd.org)

Richard A. Childers
Senor UNIX Administrator
fscked@pacbell.net (email)
203.556.8471 (voice/msgs)

# Providing administrative expertise (not 'damage control') since 1986.
# PGP fingerprint: 7EFF 164A E878 7B04 8E9F  32B6 72C2 D8A2 582C 4AFA