Date:      Tue, 19 Jul 2011 11:31:56 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, ssgriffonuser@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: Sendmail not accepting connections on port 25

> Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 00:03:58 -0700
> From: ssgriffonuser <ssgriffonuser@gmail.com>
> Subject: Sendmail not accepting connections on port 25
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having difficulty getting sendmail set up on my server.  I can send
> and receive to localhost and I can send to external networks but I can
> not receive from external networks (I receive a 550: Address rejected).

What does the sendmail LOG FILE show?

> Netstat says sendmail is listening on port 25 but I cannot telnet to it.

Netstat just says "something" has port 25 open on 'any' address -- this may,
or may *not* be the sendmail instance you think is running.  It probably
*IS*, but you need to be sure.

> When I do a port scan of the server, nmap does not show anything on port
> 25 but does show smtp on 587.

May I recommend 'lsof'?

The command-line  "lsof -n -P |grep IPv"  will show exactly what processes
have have what ports, on what addresses, open.

> As far as configuration goes, I added my hostname to
> /etc/mail/local-host-names and created a /etc/host/virtusertable that
> looks like:
>
> admin@host.com    shane
> shane@host.com    shane
>
> then I ran 'make all install restart' .

*Unless* you modified the .mc  file, I believe 'virtusertable' should be in
/etc/mail, not /etc/host.

what does 'grep Kvirtuser /etc/mail/sendmail.cf' show?

Lastly, you need to run 'makemap hash virtusertable' in the directory where
the virtusertable file lives.