Date:      Tue, 04 Jul 2000 12:40:19 -0400
From:      Bob Collins <pineypl@bellsouth.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

--------------55C85EB625A027C7CEF4FD35

Nathan Vidican wrote:

> Again, I am using NAME based hosting, there are almost 200 sites hosted
> on that one IP address. My virtualhost setup looks something like this:
>
> NameVirtualHosts x.94.149.9:80
>
> <VirtualHost www.whatever.com>
>  ServerName www.whatever.com
>  DocumentRoot /home/someuser/public_html
> </virtualhost>
>
> <VirtualHost www.whatever.net>
>  ServerName www.whatever.net
>  DocumentRoot /home/user/public_html
> </virtualhost>
>
> <VirtualHost www.whatelse.com>
>  ServerName www.whatelse.com
>  DocumentRoot /home/some-user/public_html
> </virtualhost>
>
> I cannot simply put <VirtualHost x.x.x.x> and host on an IP basis; we're
> expecting to host in the neighborhood of 2-3 thousand websites, and we
> don't want to waste static IP's on those we don't have to.

Read the entire contents of httpd.conf and read the pages at
http://www.apache.org/docs/vhosts/name-based.html  This will tell you
it can be done and will even have some examples. There must be at
least one IP address used to make it happen, after that HTTP1.1 uses
the name almost as a filter once the site has been reached via ONE
shared IP address.

--
Bob Collins