Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 22:21:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      "[gill]" <gill@topsecret.net>
To:        Scott Worthington <SWorthington@hsag.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Continued StarOffice Install Issues

Well, in the midst of a lot of other stuff going on, it took me a while to
read through all the documentation and get brave enough to try all all
this.  I am now running 3.4-STABLE as of about noon this morning.

Unfortunately, the installation process for StarOffice is EXACTLY as it
was when running 3.4-RELEASE, the same messages (errors?) and the same
symptopms (see messages below)  All in all, a very frustrating situation.

At the very least, I would feel better if someone could give me an
analysis of the perl warnings I am seeing and at least explain to me what
they are and how they might affect the situation (or not).

--gill

Remember?  When you said:

->Your problem may be that you are using 3.4-Release
->instead of 3.4-Stable.
->
->You should CVS your machine to get the latest
->patches for the PORTS, and update your system.
->
->Here's the URL for the instructions to get the stable release:
->
->http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/stable.html
->
->If you are unfamiliar with getting your machine to the
->latest stable setting, here's another URL for your reading:
->
->http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/synching.html#CVSUP
->
->Next, it would be best to recompile the OS:
->
->http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/makeworld.html
->
->And recompile your kernel:
->
->http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig.html
->
->After you've CVSUP'ed the newest ports, you can go into
->the StarOffice5 ports directory and 'make install'
->
->The latest updates to StarOffice5 should work--it did for me on
->for my AMD K2/400 workstation and ThinkPad at home
->over a dial-up modem connection to my ISP.
->
->>>> "[gill]" <gill@topsecret.net> 03/09/00 09:40AM >>>
->
->Well, there ain't much in the archives I haven't read already about this.
->I do suspect I'm missing something in my FreeBSD 3.4-R install, but I'm
->not sure what.  I found posts about including POSIX compliance in my
->kernel which I had not done before, but it hasn't seemed to make a
->difference in my install difficulties.
->
->I am interested in hearing any suggestions or comments on how to get
->StarOffice installed.
->
->Here's a brief synopsis:
->
->FreeBSD 3.4-Release
->/etc/rc.conf has linux_enable="YES" (thanks, sysinstall)
->kernel has POSIX options:"P1003_1B"
->			 "_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING"
->			 "_KPOSIX_VERSION=199309L"
->running gnome-1.0.53
->running enlightenment-0.16.3
->running perl 5.005_03
->
->I 'su'd and moved to the /usr/ports/editors/staroffice5 dir to 'make
->distclean' and 'rm -R /home/myuser/Office51' to clean up what I'd already
->done.  I recreated the /ports/distfiles/staroffice5/ and put the .tar file
->from Sun in there.  I did 'make install' and watched.  eventually
->the X11 portion of the install started.  I clicked through that with no
->trouble but perl warnings* showed up in the terminal after the installer
->window closed.  Once I was presented with a root prompt again I did
->'make post-install' and got the same perl warnings* again but no other
->errors.  Then I dropped out of 'su' to my user account and did 'make
->install-user' and the user version of the GUI installer started
->up.  Everything seemed to go fine, the files copied, the status bar
->churned up to 99% and the installer hangs, dies, the window never
->refreshes and the installer never recovers.  Trying to run the
->~/Office51/bin/soffice link does nothing.  Pounding my fist on my desk
->does nothing.  Swearing, however loudly, seems to create a fine mist that
->covers the front glass of my monitor ... oh to be composing this in my
->shiny new office suite.
->
->for a *very* detailed description of what I'm doing and how, see the
->message I posted a couple of days ago to this list or email me privately
->and I'll forward it to you.
->
->* These are the perl warnings I keep getting, I'm not sure what to do to
->correct them
->	perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
->	perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
->		LC_ALL = (unset)
->		LC_CTYPE = "en_US"
->		LANG = (unset)
->	    are supported and installed on your system.
->	perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
->
->TIA,
->
->--gill
->
->
->
->
->To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
->with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message
->
->