Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2000 21:14:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Victor Salaman <salaman@teknos.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: openssl in -current

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Doug Barton wrote:

> > The patent nonsense with RSA will be going away in september, and the US
> > vs. the world problems have also been receding and probably won't last
> > much longer either.
>
> 	So how effective is openssl (plus the things that do/will depend on it)
> without rsa(ref)? Can we complete the integration process assuming that

It does everything except RSA and SSLv2 (which requires RSA). Openssl
works perfectly, the problem is that a lot of ports require RSA.

> rsa* won't be on the system, but add hooks so that if the user has
> independently installed the rsaref port openssl in the base will pick that
> up? That will solve half the problem I think.

openssl must be rebuilt after you install rsaref to pick up the changed
code. Alternatively, you can install a binary package to do the same job.

> As for the other problem, what is currently different between the US
> and international code repositories? I think I'm getting a handle on
> what's happening, it sounds

See chapter 6.5 in the handbook.

Kris

----
"How many roads must a man walk down, before you call him a man?"
"Eight!"
"That was a rhetorical question!"
"Oh..then, seven!" -- Homer Simpson