Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 08:39:06 -0400
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        kernel@tdnet.com.br, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: quota crash my system, how to fix it ?

Unknow User <kernel@tdnet.com.br> said:

> Quota crash my system after quotaoff followed by quotaon!
> I applied a patch (kern/8137), but it did not work!
> Can anybody explain how could i fix this problem.
> here goes the patch i applied:

[ patch deleted ]

I believe the currently accepted solution is to simply never turn the
quota system off and on.  I've seen this conventional wisdom repeated
here on this list and it certainly holds true within my experience.  I
enable the quota system at at boot time (with quotaon) and then never
turn it off.

Maybe four years back someone suggested strongly that edquota should not
be used with the quota system running (I forget his exact argument).
Following this advice I changed my user management scripts to call
quotaoff and quotaon at the appropriate times.  Doing so caused a crash
and reboot a few minutes after these scripts would be run, almost every
time.  I went back to the previous version of my scripts and stabilty
returned.

YMMV, of course.
--
---

  Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                             http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx